Moshe Arie Michelsohn, Ph.D., Esq.
Pikesville, MD Office
115 Sudbrook Lane
Baltimore, MD 21208
Arie Michelsohn is a seasoned litigator, patent lawyer, strategic analyst and problem solver, with more than 20 years of experience in litigation, transaction, counseling, and advocacy matters.
Dr. Michelsohn advises clients on bankruptcy litigation, intellectual property and licensing issues in bankruptcy, and bankruptcy fraud, as well as pre-bankruptcy and exemption planning and transactions with bankruptcy estates.
In addition to his bankruptcy practice, Dr. Michelsohn represents small- and medium-size businesses in commercial litigation, intellectual property litigation, intellectual property procurement, evaluation and due diligence, and corporate formation and governance. He also advises on the drafting of business contracts, including service, operating and licensing agreements.
Dr. Michelsohn brings many years of BigLaw service and experience to help make high-quality legal services more available, efficient, and cost effective for clients of Steiner Law Group. He is a veteran of major international law firms, Milbank, Tweed, Hadley, & McCloy, LLP and Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett, & Dunner, LLP, and also brings several years of experience as an independent legal consultant to law firms, technology companies and trade associations.
Dr. Michelsohn has written extensively about patent law and legal technology. He began his career as a law clerk to the Honorable Raymond C. Clevenger, III, Circuit Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and biotechnology patent examiner at the United States Patent & Trademark Office.
When he’s not practicing law, Dr. Michelsohn enjoys playing piano and spending time with his five grandchildren.
- Bayer CropScience v. Dow AgroSciences: Represented plaintiff in federal district court litigation and international arbitration over patents covering genetically-modified plants.
- Osmose v. Arch Chemicals: Represented plaintiff in federal district court litigation over patents covering wood preservatives.
- AstraZeneca v. Teva Pharmaceuticals and Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories: Represented plaintiff in federal district court litigations over patents covering the heartburn medicine, Nexium®.
- Wyeth v. Teva Pharmaceuticals: Represented plaintiff in federal district court litigation over patents covering the antidepressant medicine, Effexor XR®.
- Counsel to buyer in multiple IP due diligence investigations for major biopharmaceutical and chemical company transactions.
- Counsel to management for multiple internal corporate IP auditing, portfolio evaluation, and competitive intelligence projects.
- Law and order, Baltimore edition: Arie Michelsohn
- Baltimore Jewish Times, October 9, 2020
- Reflections on Drug Patents and the High Cost of Healthcare
- IPWatchdog, July 13, 2018
- Drug Patents and the High Cost of Healthcare: Case of Over-Advocacy for Under-Patentability
- IPWatchdog, May 10, 2018
- The Abuse of Orange Book Listings by Branded Pharmaceutical Companies
- IPWatchdog, April 4, 2018
- Drug-Patent Abuse and the High Cost of Healthcare: Case of the DoubleHalf Dose-Time Injection
- IPWatchdog, March 20, 2018
- To Make Healthcare More Affordable, Fight Drug-Patent Abuse with a Fury
- IPWatchdog, March 14, 2018
- FTC can play a critical role in making health care more affordable
- The Hill, February 26, 2018
- The Lawyer’s Robotic Apprentice
- LinkedIn, Aug. 18, 2017
- Machine Learning: LEO Goes to Law School
- LinkedIn, Nov. 7, 2014
- The Value of a Lawyer’s Good Judgment
- LinkedIn, Oct. 14, 2014
- The Biosimilar Ballet: Patent Litigation Under the 2010 Health Care Reform Act
- Corporate Counsel, January 6, 2011
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., May 1998, with High Honors; Order of the Coif; Honors in Trial Advocacy; Writing Fellow
- California Institute of Technology, Ph.D., Biology, June 1992 (thesis in developmental molecular neurobiology), M.S., Biology, June 1986
- Columbia College of Columbia University, A.B., Chemistry/Biochemistry, May 1982, Gamma Chapter, Phi Lambda Upsilon Honorary Chemical Society, elected 1982
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, 2007
- District of Columbia, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1999
- New York, 1999
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 1996
- Maryland State Bar Association